Sunday 20 November 2011

Back to Basics


“We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are.” – Anais Nin

Woah! Now that’s deep. This is one of those quotes that really rocks me to the core; so simple in its language -- so complex in its truth.

When I was studying to become a teacher I had to attend these ‘observation days’ at a local high school. For five random days throughout the year I sat in on a teacher’s classes and just…observed. I wasn’t a participant. I wasn’t a teacher. I was simply there. 

Although these days occurred near the beginning of my teacher education, I still thought I had this whole game figured out. I mean really….how hard could this be?? I went to high school. I was a good student. This was easy. And for the first class I observed on Day 1…that was my attitude. 

It was an AP (Advanced Placement) English course for students who excelled in the subject, I felt very comfortable and at ease. “This is great!” I thought. “I would have loved this course in high school!” (and I would have aced it too – I thought.) Just as I was getting into the swing of things, the bell rang. 

Next up at bat...a ‘basic’ English course. This one was as opposite as could be from the AP course. A class designed for those students that struggled with ‘basic’ concepts and had difficulties both attending and comprehending classes. “No problem,” I thought. “If I can do AP, I can totally do this!”

Not. So. Much.

Holy Smokes this class opened my eyes! The level of these students was so far below anything that I had ever experienced that I had no idea of what to do (or think)! And even though I wasn’t required to do anything but observe...I felt panicked! What would I do if I was asked to teach a ‘basic’ course?! I don’t know how to do this!! My expectations are waaaaayyyyy out to lunch and I don’t even know how to begin to reel them in!!

You see…in high school….I was the bright kid. The teacher’s pet. The keener. The valedictorian (from grade 7 to 12). The beeker (school specific ‘loser’ term for smart kid – I don’t get it either – still.) I had no idea how anyone else experienced high school. I just know how I did. That it was a pretty good time. It was easy. I was successful. I did good. And that’s why I decided to become a teacher – high school was (overall) a pleasant experience for me.

It was only when I was sitting in that ‘basic’ English class that I realized there were other ways to experience high school. Or life. Only then did it hit me that I saw and experienced life not as it is…but as I am. And so did others.

What a moment! I’ll never forget it. 

Those ‘basic’ kids taught me more than years worth of ‘AP’ learning ever could.

No comments:

Post a Comment