Tuesday 8 November 2011

Cheerleading is my life

"I thank my parents for somehow raising me to have confidence that is disproportionate with my looks and abilities. Well done. That is what all parents should do." -- Tina Fey

Ahhhh parents....I don't claim to have all the answers, but I do have parents. And it hasn't always been smooth sailing with them (flashback to my teenage years). But I think I turned out pretty good! (Turns out they're not too bad either!)

I mean, I've always seemed to 'have my wits about me'. And I know that had a LOT to do with my parents. Can anyone deny their influence?? (Parents in general I mean....not just my parents!)

Seriously. Is there anyone out there that has a more profound impact on a child? 

I don't have kids.....yet....but I do teach them. And as a teacher I see first hand examples of good and bad parenting. And unfortunately, there's more of the 'bad' side than there should be and it's nothing short of heart-wrenching. It often worries me. Makes me wonder how I'd make out in that realm. It's really easy to critique something you've had zero experience in afterall. But if I'm to be honest here...most days I feel like people should be issued a license to have children! And the other days.....I just feel. Everything. Incredibly deeply.

Every kid needs someone to tell them they're great. A soft place to fall. Someone to hold the pedestal while they climb atop it. Confidence can make or break a soul and its SO easy to give. And honestly it's not just the little kids either. Even us grown-up kids do well with a little love and encouragement from ma and pa now and then. Every kid needs a cheerleader. 

And people wonder why teachers are so tired at the end of the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment