Sunday 6 November 2011

Perspective

"Men don't realize that if we're sleeping with them on a first date, we're probably not interested in seeing them again either." -- Chelsea Handler

It's a funny thing, perspective. Sometimes we walk around so caught up in the way we see the world we forget that other people and their thoughts exist! 

I took the opportunity to read this quote to my fiancee. A man who has had his fair share of 'experiences' of this sort. It was as if he had a revelation. He paused......did a little "smell the fart"  acting and the replied (a little deflated I'll admit)...

"....oh....I never thought about that."

And I guess that's true. We hardly ever take the time to think about the other person's take on an issue. I know I don't do it enough. Perhaps it's something we should all consider a little more.

Isn't it interesting though?! How two people can share the exact same experience yet have two completely different take-aways from it! Is it a mark of our narcissistic sentiments or just a flaw in conscientiousness? I've recently discovered (through the help of Dr. Phil -- of course) that conscientiousness rates very high on my personality-o-meter. And thinking back to all those high school report card comments -- Samantha is a very conscientious student -- I think most people would probably agree with the good doctor.  Yet, I feel as though I fall into this 'perspective' trap daily.

I think people see things like I do.

And why shouldn't I. My way makes the most sense anyway. 

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment